West Electronics Incorporated was chartered and established in 1986 under the laws of the Fort Peck Assiniboine and Sioux Tribes of Poplar, Montana. West is 100% tribally owned and operates as an independent company with its own Board of Directors and CEO.
As part of the Fort Peck Tribes’ overall economic and community development strategy, the company’s purpose is to provide employment for Tribal members and generate revenue profit, while capitalizing on the established management and technical capabilities that have been developed since its beginnings.
For most of West history, the original and core business has been electronics manufacturing services for both government agencies (primarily defense related) and commercial customers. Through the late 1980’s and into the early 1990’s West Electronics Incorporated was largely dependent upon electronics manufacturing contracts with the U. S. government and was very successful in the execution and delivery of these contracts and resulting products. However, this left the company vulnerable to government downsizing and procurement cutbacks in their primary area of focus. With persistent dedication, the company earned a solid reputation for quality, delivery, and service performance, providing the needed foundation of capabilities, strengths and advantages for its current re-invention and renewal process.
In 1995, West was certified and admitted into the U.S. Small Business Administration Disadvantaged Business 8(a) program. While under the 8(a) program, the company embarked on a diversification effort to enter the information technology services industry. By August of 1996 West entered into a major information technology (IT) procurement services management contract for the U.S. Department of Justice and continued this work for the US Treasury Department thru 2005. The capital earned from these procurement contracts allowed West Electronics Incorporated to develop other core strengths and opportunities.
In 2003 West teamed with ESSI (now DRS) to update the United States Army Fuel System Supply Points. Thru the collaborative efforts of West and the United States Army – TACOM Division, West has become the OEM manufacturer of the TACOMs 120K, 300K, and 800K Fuel System Supply Points.
West graduated from the 8(a) program in 2005 with new core abilities in high quality, products and services.
West continues to meet the government’s needs under follow on FSSP contracts that has periodically employed over 50 tribal members. In recent years, West has added wire harness and cable assembly capabilities under long term contracts for the Army’s SINCGARS radio program and HMMWV ambulance harness program.
West operates out of one facility based on the Fort Peck Indian Reservation within the Industrial Park located in Poplar, Montana.
WEI has the following small business certifications
- Small Disadvantaged Business
- Hub Zone Certified
- Native American Tribally Owned
WEI Cage Code
Goods / Services
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS)
- 313320 – Fabric Coating Mills
- 333913 – Measuring and Dispensing Pump Manufacturing
- 334210 – Telephone Apparatus Manufacturing
- 334220 – Radio and Television Broadcasting and Wireless Communications Equipment Manufacturing
- 334290 – Other Communications Equipment Manufacturing
- 334418 – Printed Circuit Assembly (Electronic Assembly) Manufacturing
- 334419 – Other Electronic Component Manufacturing
- 334511 – Search, Detection, Navigation, Guidance, Aeronautical, and Nautical System and Instrument Manufacturing
- 335311 – Power, Distribution, and Specialty Transformer Manufacturing
- 541330 – Engineering Services
- 541519 – Other Computer Related Services
Standard Industrial Classification (SIC)
- 3586 – MEASURING AND DISPENSING PUMPS
- 3612 – TRANSFORMERS, EXCEPT ELECTRONIC
- 3661 – TELEPHONE AND TELEGRAPH APPARATUS
- 3663 – RADIO & TV COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT
- 3669 – COMMUNICATIONS EQUIPMENT, NEC
- 3672 – PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARDS
- 3679 – ELECTRONIC COMPONENTS, NEC
- 3812 – SEARCH AND NAVIGATION EQUIPMENT
- 5045 – COMPUTERS, PERIPHERALS & SOFTWARE
- 7379 – COMPUTER RELATED SERVICES, NEC
- 8711 – ENGINEERING SERVICES